"HALTON is a chapelry, township, and hamlet, in Corbridge parish, the property of Sir Edward Blaekett, Bart., who is also lord of the manor. The chapelry embraces the townships of Great Whittington, Clarewood, Halton, and Halton Shields. .... HALTON CASTLE, in this township, is a strong oblong structure, with four turrets, and in its vicinity is a Chapel of Ease to Corbridge church which was rebuilt in 1706, towards the expense of which John Douglas gave £146 17s. 2d., and the freeholders of Whittingham £78 1s. 1d. The living is united to that of Corbridge." [From History, Topography, and Directory of Northumberland, Whellan, 1855].