"HAYDON parochial chapelry, the property of the Commissioners of Greenwich Hospital, and others, is divided for highway purposes into the quarters or divisions of Brokenheugh, Deanraw, Ellerington, and Lipwood. It contains 13,688 acres, and its rateable value is £14,106. The number of its inhabitants in 1801, was 1,084; in 1811, 1,347; in 1821, 1,574; in 1831, 1,746; in 1841, 1,908; and in 1851, 2,085 souls. The manor of Haydon was formerly the property of Anthony, Lord Lucy, of Cockermouth, who, in 1344 obtained a charter from Edward III., in which permission was granted to hold a weekly market here on Tuesdays, and an annual fair on the feast of St. Mary Magdalen, and the three following days, but these privileges have long been disused. This chapelry is intersected by the Newcastle and Carlisle Railway, which has a station here, near to which are the Haydon Bridge Irons Works, established in 1843, and extensively carried on by Messrs. Coaltas Dodsworth and Co. There are also mills for the smelting of lead ore, at Langley, worked by Messrs. Shield and Co., and at Grindon Hill, a Lead Mining Company has been recently formed. On Ellfoot Hill, a cist vaen, containing some ashes, was discovered by Mr. Thomas Pickering in 1851, and several ancient silver coins were lately found in an adjoining field." [From History, Topography, and Directory of Northumberland, Whellan, 1855].
"HAYDON, a chapelry in the parish of WARDEN, north-western division of TINDALE ward, county of NORTHUMBERLAND, ..... The village of Haydon- Bridge, situated on both sides of the South Tyne river, is in this chapelry........" [Samuel Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1831 © Mel Lockie]
"HAYDON, (or Haydon-bridge), a chapelry in the parish of Warden, .... The chapelry contains the hamlets of Brockenheugh, Lipwood, Ellerington, Chesterwood, Langley, and Deanrow...... " The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Colin Hinson ©2003]