Hide

National Gazetteer (1868) - Hebburn

hide
Hide

1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland

"HEBBURN, (or Hebron, or Hepburn), a parochial chapelry in the W. division of Morpeth ward, county Northumberland, 3 miles N.W. of Morpeth, its post town. The village, which is small, is situated under Hebburn-Shaw. The parish contains the townships of Causey Park, Cockle Park, Earsdon Forest, Fenrother, Hebron, Shield-Hill, and Tritlington. The land is chiefly arable, and the soil clay. The living is a curacy annexed to the rectory of Bothal, in the diocese of Durham. The chapel is a stone edifice, and was rebuilt in 1793, at a cost of £700.

"CAUSEY PARK, a township in the parish of Hebburn, western division of the ward of Morpeth, in the county of Northumberland, 5 miles N. of Morpeth, its post town. A portion of Causey Park House was erected in 1582, and near it are the ruins of St. Cuthbert's chapel. There is an endowed school for boys."

"COKLE PARK, a township in the parish of Hebburn, in the western division of the ward of Morpeth, in the county of Northumberland, 3 miles N. of Morpeth, its post town. It was part of Bothal barony. Cockle Park Tower, now a farmhouse, was formerly a stronghold of the Bertrams. The Duke of Portland is the chief landowner."

"EARSDON, (and Earsdon Forest) townships in the parish of Hebburn, W. division of the ward of Morpeth, county Northumberland, 5 miles N. of Morpeth.

"FENROTHER, a township in the parish of Hebburn, W. division of the ward of Morpeth, county Northumberland, 4 miles N.W. of Morpeth."

"TRITLINGTON, a township in the parish of Hebburn, W. division of Morpeth ward, county Northumberland, 5 miles N.E. of Morpeth, and 2½- N.E. of Hebburn. The village is on the river Line. There is a school. The soil consists of clay and gravel. Tritlington House is the principal residence."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]