"HEDDON-ON-THE-WALL parish comprises the townships of Eachwick, Heddon (East), Heddon-on-the-Wall, Heddon (West), Houghton and Closehouse, and Whitchester. It is bounded by the parishes of Newburn, Ovingham, Stamfordham, and Ponteland, and by the river Tyne, which separates it from Durham. It is about four miles in length by the same in breadth, and comprises an area of 4,663 acres. The population in 1801, was 603; in 1811, 653; in 1821, 770; in 1831, 774; in 1841, 753; and in 1851, 813 souls. This parish is very fertile and contains several handsome residences." [From History, Topography, and Directory of Northumberland, Whellan, 1855].