Hide

Horton

hide
Hide

"HORTON is a parochial chapelry comprising the townships of Bebside. Cowpen, Hartford East, Hartford West, and Horton, whose united area is 5,550 acres. It is bounded on the north by the river Blyth, on the west by the parish of Stannington, on the south by Earsdon parish and Cramlington chapelry, and on the east by the parish of Earsdon and the port of Blyth. The number of its inhabitants in 1801, was 1,197; in 1811, 1,449; in 1821, 2,099; in 1831, 2,423 in 1841, 2,838; and in 1851, 4,449 souls. This chapelry abounds in coal and stone, and the soil is a strong clay, which produces excellent crops. Until 1768 it formed a portion of the parish of Woodhorn, but at that period it was made into a parochial chapelry, and obtained all the privileges of a distinct parish." [From History, Topography, and Directory of Northumberland, Whellan, 1855]

"HORTON, a parish in the eastern division of CASTLE ward, county of NORTHUMBERLAND, comprising the townships of Bebside, Cowpen, East Hartford, West Hartford, and Horton, ........Horton formed part of the parish of Woodhorn until the year 1768, when it was severed from it......." [Samuel Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1831 © Mel Lockie]

Hide
topup

Cemeteries

topup

Census

topup

Church History

  • Horton, St Mary was originally built in the 12th century but was completely rebuilt in 1827 and restored in 1903. It formed part of Woodhorn Parish until 1768 when it became a separate parish. It stands on a hill beside the B1505 road about 3 miles south west of Blyth (OS reference NZ275797). A chapel of ease, Blyth St Mary, was built in 1864 at the west end of Blyth market; this became a parish church in 1897. Another church in Horton Parish, Newsham St Bede, had its origins around 1916 and served the mining villages of Newsham and New Delaval. As the population moved, so did the church, and the present building is the fourth. It is located on Newcastle Road, Blyth and was consecrated in 1957.
  • The Ancestral Indexes website provides information about Blyth, St Mary. There is also information about Horton, St Mary under the heading History.
topup

Church Records

topup

Civil Registration

  • This area is within Northumberland Central Registration District.
  • Certificates of birth, death and marriage can be ordered from Northumberland County Council.
    Order Certificates.
topup

Description & Travel

  • Photographs of Blyth from Les Bell's Northumberland Cam website.
  • Photographs of Blyth from the FreeFoto.com website.
  • The Northumberland Communities website includes pages relating to Blyth. They provide "a range of learning resource material that reflects Northumberland's heritage, providing a base for studying the County's history. The website provides a starting point for understanding the development of communities in Northumberland. It also seeks to illustrate the range of sources for family and local history research that are available via Northumberland Archives Service."
You can see pictures of Horton which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

topup

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Horton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

History

  • The history of Horton Parish is included in Hodgson, J., History of Northumberland, Part 2, Volume 2. Newcastle, 1832, and Northumberland County History Committee, History of Northumberland, Volume 9. Newcastle, A. Reid, 1909.
topup

Maps

  • Horton - Maps - links and information.

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NZ275797 (Lat/Lon: 55.110945, -1.57046), Horton which are provided by:

topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law