National Gazetteer (1868) - Horton
1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
"HORTON, a parish in the E. division of Castle ward, county Northumberland, 7 miles S.E. of Morpeth, its post town, 3 N. of Bedlington, and 2 from the Seaton and Delaval railway station. It is situated on the river Blyth, and the Blyth and Tyne railway. The parish contains the townships of Bebside, Cowpen, and East and West Hartford. Horton originally formed part of the parish of Woodhorn, but has since become a parochial chapelry, enjoying the privileges of a distinct parish. There was formerly a strong castle of the Delavals, which was razed to the ground in 1809. A large portion of the inhabitants are employed in the collieries, which are largely worked. The soil, though various, is generally a strong clay, producing excellent crops of wheat. The rectory was anciently appropriated to the priory of Tynemouth. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Durham, value £150. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is a stone edifice with a tower containing one bell. It was rebuilt in 1827, at an expense of £400, raised by subscription. The register dates from 1642. The Independents, Wesleyans, Primitive Methodists, Presbyterians, and Roman Catholics, have each a chapel. There is a National school for both sexes, and a Sunday-school, which last is held at the church."[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
"BEBSIDE, a township in the parish of Horton, in the east division of Castle ward, in the county of Northumberland, 2 miles to the W. of Blyth. It is seated on the south side of the river Blyth, and is a station on the Blyth and Tyne railway. This township was formerly among the possessions of the priory of Tynemouth. The inhabitants are employed in the neighbouring iron-works."
"COWPEN, a township in the parish of Horton, in the E. division of Castle ward, in the county of Northumberland, 1 mile W. of Blyth, and 3 miles N.E. of Morpeth, its post and market town. It is situated at the mouth of the river Blyth. There are schools for both sexes in connection with the parish church. The Roman Catholics have a chapel dedicated to St. Cuthbert, attached to which is a school. There are several collieries."
"EAST HARTFORD, (and West Hartford) townships in the parish of Horton, E. division of Castle ward, county Northumberland, 1½ mile W. of Horton, and 5½ miles S.E. of Morpeth, its post town. The village, which is very small, is situated in a valley to the S. of the river Blyth.
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]