"HOWICK parish is bounded on the north and west by Embleton, on the south by Long Houghton, and on the east by the German Ocean. It comprises an area of 1,692 acres, and its rateable value is £2,481. Population in 1801, 184; in 1811, 214; in 1821, 234; in 1831, 208; in 1841, 242; and in 1851, 315 souls. This parish possesses no dependent townships, and its soil is rich, fertile and well cultivated." [From History, Topography, and Directory of Northumberland, Whellan, 1855].