National Gazetteer (1868) - Howick


The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868

"HOWICK, a parish in the S. division of the ward of Barnbrough, county Northumberland, 6 miles N.E. of Alnwick. The village, which is small, is situated near the coast of the North Sea, which is here lined with rocks of dreary and rugged aspect. Here are traces of an encampment, supposed from its circular form to have been either Danish or British. Several tombs with ornaments of a decidedly British character have been discovered near it. Coal mines were formerly worked, but the produce was insufficient. The soil is a rich loam on a retentive clay or marl. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £317. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Durham, value £318, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, is situated in the pleasure grounds of Howick Hall. It was rebuilt in 1746 at the expense of Sir Henry Grey, Bart., and restored in the Norman style, by the present Earl Grey, in 1849. In the S. side of the chancel is a tomb to the late Earl Grey. The parochial charities produce about £25 per annum. There is a National school for both sexes, also a Sunday-school. Howick Hall, the seat of Earl Grey, is the principal residence. A trout stream, called Howick Burn, over which is a bridge, skirts the lawn in front of the hall, to the E. of which is an artificial lake, covering five acres and well stocked with fish. Earl Grey, who is lord of the manor, takes from this place the title of viscount."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]