Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for National Gazetteer (1868) - Ingram

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

National Gazetteer (1868) - Ingram

"INGRAM, a parish in the N. division of Coquetdale ward, county Northumberland, 9 miles S. of Wooler, and 5 N.W. of Whittingham, its post town. The parish, which is extensive, is situated on the river Breamish, a tributary of the Tweed, under the Cheviots. It contains the townships of Fawdon, Clinch, Hartside, and Ingram. The surface is mountainous, and the soil varies extremely. At Linhop are traces of a British town, and on the hills numerous remains of camps and temples. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Durham, value £462. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, is an ancient stone structure, with a square tower containing one bell. It contains an antique font, bearing date 1662. In 1837 the N. and S. aisles were taken away and the roof lowered. The register dates from 1600. There is a small school supported by the landed proprietors. The principal residence is Reveley Manor."

"CLINCH-CUM-HARTSIDE, a hamlet in the parish of Ingram, in the N. division of the ward of Coquetdale, in the county of Northumberland, 9 miles S.E. of Wooler, and 1½ S.E. of Ingram. Alnwick is its post town and railway station. The river Breamish flows through the parish of Ingram, which is mountainous. Near Clinch Hill is a circular camp."

"FAWDON, a township in the parish of Ingram, N. division of the ward of Coquetdale, county Northumberland, 1 mile S. of Ingram, and 9 N.W. of Rothbury. The river Beamish flows through this district."

"GREENSHAWHILL, a township in the parish of Ingram, ward of Coquetdale, county Northumberland, 7 miles S. of Wooler."

"HARTSIDE, a township in the parish of Ingram, ward of Coquetdale, county Northumberland, 8 miles S.W. of Wooler. It lies at the foot of the Cheviot hills, near the river Beamish. It is joined to Fawdon and Clinch, and comprises a large extent of moorland."

"LINHOPE with GREENSHAWHILL, hamlets in the parish of Ingram, N. division of Coquetdale Ward, county Northumberland, 8 miles S.W. of Wooler. It is situated on the river Breamish, under the Cheviots, and near Linhope Spout waterfall, which has a depth of 56 feet. There are some earthworks, and traces of an ancient British road.

"LINOP WITH INGRAM, a township in the parish of Ingram, N. division of Coquetdale ward, county Northumberland, 8 miles S.W. of Wooler. In this township is Linop Spout, or Roughtin Linn, a cataract with a fall of 48 feet. In the vicinity are the remains of an ancient British town, and a short distance to the N.W. are the Cardlaw Cairns, sepulchral monuments of the earliest inhabitants of the island."

"REAVELEY, a township in the parish of Ingram, N. division of Coquetdale ward, county Northumberland, 7 miles S.E. of Wooler, and 10 N.W. of Rothbury, near the river Breamish."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]