"KIDLAND LORDSHIP is an extra parochial liberty, situated two miles north by west of Alwinton, the property of Sir Thomas Legard, and comprises an area of 11,825 acres of which the rateable value is £1,742. Population in 1801, 60; in 1811, 54; in 1821, 62; in 1831, 69; in 1841, 63: and in 1851, 61 souls. This is a mountainous district, and the Cheviot breed of sheep are found here in their greatest perfection. The principal mountains in and about this lordship are Cheviot, Cushit, Flint Crag, Hogdon Law, Maiden Cross, Milkhope, Rookland, Shillmoor, &c. The neighbourhood of Kidland Lee, on the west side of the Alwine, is the most fertile part of this district, though the great majority of the hills are covered with rich verdure. Here are the remains of some ancient British entrenchments, and in a romantic glen, near the source of the Alwine, the ruins of Memmerkirk are still visible." [From History, Topography, and Directory of Northumberland, Whellan, 1855].