"KIRKHAUGH PARISH. This parish occupies the south-western extremity of the county, and is bounded on the north and west by Knaresdale, and on the south by the parish of Alston, in the adjoining county of Cumberland, and on the east by Whitfield. It comprises an area of 6,665 acres, the property of various owners, and its rateable value is £1,355 5s. The population in 1801, was 275; in 1811, 339; in 1821, 286; in 1831, 309; in 1841, 221; and in 1851, 286 souls. The manorial rights are vested in the Commissioners of Greenwich Hospital. This is a mountainous district, and is intersected by the South Tyne, which rises near Alston, in Cumberland. About half a mile south-west of the parish church, on the farm called Castle Nook, is the site of a Roman station, supposed by some antiquarians to be the Alione of the Notitia, but subsequent inquiries have shown this supposition to be groundless. It occupies an irregular descent, inclining to the east, and its walls enclose an area of nearly nine acres. It is overlooked by hills on the west, where it is defended by ten breastworks and trenches, which have also flanked the north-west and south-west sides, two of them extending around the whole area of the station. Several 'Roman Remains' have been found here. The MAIDEN WAY passes near the eastern wall of the station, which is now covered with irregular heaps of ruins. THE PARISH CHURCH is a small unpretending edifice, situated on the east side of the South Tyne, two and a half miles north by west of Alston, and nine and a half miles south by west of Haltwhistle." [From History, Topography, and Directory of Northumberland, Whellan, 1855].