National Gazetteer (1868) - Kirkhaugh


The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868

"KIRKHAUGH, a parish in the W. division of Tynedale ward, county Northumberland, 2½ miles N. of Alston, its post town, 10½ S. of Haltwhistle, and 2 S. of the Slaggyford railway station. A branch of the Newcastle and Carlisle railway passes through the parish, from Haltwhistle to Alston, in Cumberland. The parish is situated in a wild mountainous district, near the south-western extremity of the county, and is intersected by the South Tyne. The land is chiefly in grass; and the hills are mostly covered with heath, and abound with grouse. The Roman road Maiden Way passed through this parish. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Durham, value £70. The church is a small stone edifice. The parochial charities produce about £4 per annum. There are two parochial schools, with small endowments. The Commissioners of Greenwich Hospital are lords of the manor. At Castle Nook, in this parish, are traces of a Roman station covering an area of nearly 9 acres, and defended on the W. side by ten breastworks and trenches. Camden says an inscription was set up here in honour of the Emperor Antoninus, and a palace built about the year 213 by the third cohort of the Nervii. In the vicinity have been found several altars, one dedicated to Minerva and Hercules, and fragments of a colossal statue."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]