"KIRK HEATON is an extra parochial chapelry, on the north of the parish of Stamfordham, to which it was formerly annexed. It comprises an area of 1,760 acres, and its population in 1801, was 147; in 1811, 153; in 1821, 140; in l831, 182; in l841, 164; and in 1851, 153 souls. Calverley B. Bewick, Esq., is the landowner. Here is a colliery and limekiln, which are extensively worked by Messrs. William Grace & Co. THE VILLAGE of Kirk-Heaton occupies an elevated position about nine and a half miles north-east by north of Hexham. From the eminence upon which it is situated, a most extensive view of the surrounding country may be obtained, while on the east and south-east a portion of the German Ocean and Gaterhead Fell is plainly discernible. THE CHAPEL was rebuilt in 1775, at the expense of Mrs. H. D. Windsor, at that time lady of the manor. The living, a perpetual curacy in the patronage of C. B. Berwick, Esq., is valued at £60 per annum, and enjoyed by the Rev. Humphrey Brown. The Parsonage was formerly the Manor House. This chapelry registers with Thockrington, which see." [From History, Topography, and Directory of Northumberland, Whellan, 1855].
"KIRKHEATON, a chapelry in the parish of KIRKHARLE, north-eastern division of TINDALE ward, county of NORTHUMBERLAND ....." [Samuel Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1831 © Mel Lockie]