"KIRKNEWTON parish is bounded on the north by the parishes of Ford, Carham, and Branxton, on the west by Scotland, on tbe south by Coquetdale Ward, and on the east by Doddington and Wooler parishes. It comprises the townships of Akeld, Coldsmouth and Thompson's Walls, Coupland, Crookhouse, Grey's Forest, Heathpool, Howtell, Kilham, Kirk Newton, Lanton, Milfield, Newton West, Paston, Selby's Forest, and Yeavering, whose united area is 37,976 acres. Its population in 1801, was 1,406; in 1811, 1,472; in 1821, 1,701; in 1831, 1,674; in 1841, 1,726; and in 1851, 1,732 souls. The principal landowners are Sir William Davison, Sir F. Blake. Matthew Culley, Esq., George A. Grey, Esq., the Earl of Tankerville, ---- Morton, Esq., Percival Clennell, Esq., George Rea. Esq., Frank Sitwell, Esq., Lady Stanley, Johu Ord, Esq., Alexander Thompson, Esq., and Robert Thompson, Esq. This parish occupies an extensive but thinly populated tract, in the south-western part of Glendale Ward." [From History, Topography, and Directory of Northumberland, Whellan, 1855].