"KNARESDALE parish, comprising the villages of Eals, Burn Stones, Slaggyford, Town Green, and Williamston, occupies a wild maintainous tract, at the south-western extremity of Northumberland, and is bounded on the north by Lambley, on the west and south by Cumberland, and on the east by Kirkhaugh parish. It comprises an area of 7,144 acres, the property of the trustees of the late Hon. James Hope Wallace, and others, who also claim the manorial rights, and its rateahle value is £2,712 5s. The number of its inhabitants in 1801, was 481; in 1811, 526; in 1821, 564; in 1831, 566; in 1841, 491; and in 1851, 917 souls. It is supposed to derive its name from the Knare-burn which intersects the parish. The forest of Knaresdale was anciently very extensive and well stocked with red deer; the breed, however, is now nearly extinct. Snope Well is a medicinal spring, and was formerly held in great repute. Besides the Knare-burn, this district is watered by three other rivulets. viz.:- the Thinhope, Thomhope, and Barrough-burns." [From History, Topography, and Directory of Northumberland, Whellan, 1855].