"LAMBLEY PARISH. This parish comprises the joint townships of Lambley and Asholme, whose unlted area is 2,698 acres, and rateable value £1,489. The population in 1801, was 209; in 1811, 254; in 1821, 261; in 1831, 252; in 1841, 249; and in 1851, 365 souls The landowners are Robert R. Allgood, Esq. who is also lord of the manor, and Henry Whitfield, Esq. This district is very beautiful, being interspersed with fine woods, and ornamented with thriving plantations, on each side of the South Tyne, which here rolls over rugged stones, and down the ledge of shelving rocks, forming a striking contrast with the extensive heaths of the neighbouring district, which is studded with lofty mountains. The only remains of antiquity in tbis parish, is tbe old fortress of Castle-hill, which is situated opposite to Harper Town, and defended on three sides by tbe natural slope of the river bank, and on the fourth, by a dry trench of some depth. The Alston and Haltwhistle branch line of railway crosses the river Tyne, at the east end of this parish. The viaduct is upwards of 110 feet in height, thirty-five feet in breadth at the base, and eighteen feet at the top. It has nine main arches of sixty-six feet span each, and seven smaller ones of twenty feet span each. Lambley Colliery, in this parish, is worked by Mrs. Maria Thompson." [From History, Topography, and Directory of Northumberland, Whellan, 1855].