"LONG HOUGHTON parish comprises the townships of Boulmer with Seaton House, Little Houghton, and Long Houghton, whose united area is 4,113 acres. It is bounded on the north by Howick and Embleton parishes, on the west by Alnwick parish, on the south by Lesbury, and on the east by the German ocean. The parish is about two miles in length by three in breadth, and coal, lead, and limestone, are the principal minerals. Its population in 1801, was 554; in 1811, 595; in 1821, 650; in 1831, 690; in 1841, 772; and in 1851, it had attained to 861 souls." [From History, Topography, and Directory of Northumberland, Whellan, 1855].