"LOWICK parish comprises the townships of Barmoor, Bowsdon, Holborn, and Lowick; and is bounded on the north by Islandshire, on the west by Ford, on the south by Doddington and Chatton, and on the east by Belford. Its area is 12,526 acres, and its population in 1801, was 1,382; in 1811, 1,519; in 1821, 1,799; in 1831, 1,864; in 1841, 1,941; and in 1851, 1,941 souls. The soil consists chiefly of a loamy clay, and the surface presents a bleak and monotonous appearance. There was a new colliery opened here, in 1854, called Licker Colliery." [From History, Topography, and Directory of Northumberland, Whellan, 1855].