National Gazetteer (1868) - Lowick
The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"LOWICK, a parish in the eastern division of the ward of Glendale, county Northumberland, 7 miles N.W. of Belford, and 9 S. of Berwick, its post town. The North-Eastern line of railway has a station at Beal, 4 miles N.E. of the village. The parish includes the villages of Barmoor, Bowsdon, and Holborn, with the hamlet of Laverick Law. The village of Lowick is a long and straggling place; the houses mostly detached, with thatched roofs. The people are employed in the collieries, quarries, and in the manufacture of bricks, drainpipes, and lime burning. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Durham, value £150, in the patronage of the dean and chapter. The church is a stone structure, rebuilt towards the close of the last century. It has a good E. window, also a memorial window of the Gregson family, both of stained glass. There are charities amounting to about £4 per annum. The Presbyterians and Primitive Methodists have chapels; that of the former is a Gothic edifice, built of stone. There is a National school for both sexes, held in a modern stone building. A large number of fossils have been found in the limestone, which, by the labours of the incumbent, have been collected and deposited in the Woodwardian Museum, Cambridge. Barmoor Castle is the principal seat here."[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
"BARMOOR, a township in the parish of Lowick, ward of Glendale, in the county of Northumberland, 8 miles to the N. of Wooler. Here was the rendezvous of the Lords Marchers, in 1417, with a powerful force, before which the Scots retired. Flodden Field is not far from Barmoor. The principal seat is Barmoor Castle."
"BOWSDON, a township in the parish of Lowick, ward of Glendale, in the county of Northumberland, 2 miles from Ancroft, and 7½ from Berwick. Coals and lime abound here, and a new coal-mine was opened in 1857, which promises to be very productive. There is a school in the village."
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]