"MELDON parish is situated in the north-west corner of Castle Ward, and comprises an area of 993 acres. The number of its inhabitants in 1801 was 54; in 1811, 129; in 1821, 129; in 1831, 114; in 1841, 152 and in 1851, 144 souls. John Cookson, Esq., of Meldon Hall, is lord of the manor and owner of the soil. Meldon was anciently a member of the barony of Mitford, and seems to have been a place of some importance, for we find here the remains of a large strong building, with extensive gardens, and in Meldon Park the traces of several other edifices have been discovered. This place was formerly the property of the ancient family of Fenwick, from whom it was transferred by marriage to the Derwentwaters, in which family it continued till the attainder of James, the third Earl, when it was forfeited to the crown. It was afterwards granted to Greenwich Hospital, and was subsequently sold by the Commissioners of the Hospital to Isaac Cookson, Esq., alderman of Neweastle, for the sum of 56,900 guineas." [From History, Topography, and Directory of Northumberland, Whellan, 1855].