Hide

National Gazetteer (1868) - Meldon

hide
Hide

1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland

"MELDON, a parish in the W. division of Castle ward, county Northumberland, 6 miles W. of Morpeth, its post town. It is a station on the Wansbeck railway. The parish, which is small, is situated on the river Wansbeck. It has an alluvial soil upon a subsoil of clay. The village, which is small, is wholly agricultural. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Durham, value £322, in the patronage of the dean and chapter. The church, dedicated to St. John the Evangelist, is a stone structure. There is a school for both sexes, also a Sunday-school is held at the church. Meldon Park is the seat of John Cookson, Esq., who is lord of the manor and sole landowner."

"RIVER GREEN, an extra-parochial place in the W. division of Castle ward, county Northumberland, 5 miles S.W. of Morpeth."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]