Compiled by Brian Pears.
(Data for Yorkshire West Riding supplied by Carl Nutbrown of Ontario, Canada.)
To avoid excessive downloading times, the listings are arranged in ten files covering surnames beginning A-B, C-D, E-G, H-I, J-L, M-N, O-R, S, T-V and W-Y respectively.
Select a letter below to go directly to entries starting with that letter.
See also Casualties Ordered by Date of Fatal Incident
The Civilian War Dead Roll of Honour was compiled by the Imperial War Graves Commission, now known as the Commonwealth War Graves Commission. It lists civilians killed directly or indirectly by enemy action in the United Kingdom during the 1939 to 1945 war. A copy of the complete roll, consisting of seven bound volumes listing 66375 names, is kept in Westminster Abbey, and the information is included in the Commission's online Debt of Honour Register.
This index includes the following fields:
- Surname and Forename of deceased
- Services, if any, to which the deceased belonged (see abbreviations file)
- Age, in years, months, weeks or days
- Date of incident causing death*
- Location of incident causing death*
- Page number in the Civilian War Dead Roll of Honour
* In most cases deaths occurred at the time and place of the incident, but where this is not the case, the incident particulars are used if possible.
Most entries in the Roll of Honour give additional information such as the names of the parents and/or spouse of the deceased. This additional information is available from the official Debt of Honour Register
© Copyright Brian Pears and Carl Nutbrown 1995-2012