"MORPETH is a parish, township, corporate and parliamentary borough, and market town, in the western division of Morpeth Ward, and eastern and western divisions of Castle Ward. The parish comprehends the townships of Buller's Green, Hepscott, Morpeth, Morpeth Castle, Newminster Abbey, Shilvington, Tranwell and High Church, and Twizell, whose united area is 8,177 acres. The population in l801, was 3,707; in 1811, 4,098; in 1821, 4,292; in 1831, 4,797; in 1841, 4,237; and in 1851, 5,020 souls." [From History, Topography, and Directory of Northumberland, Whellan, 1855].
"ULGHAM, a chapelry in the parish of Morpeth, in the E. division of Morpeth ward, county Northumberland, 5½ miles N.E. of Morpeth, its post town, and 2 S. of the Widdrington railway station. It is situated on the Line Water, and is formed of the three townships of Ulgham, Ulgham Grange, and Stobswood....." [The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Colin Hinson ©2003]
- The 1851 Census Index (microfiche CN22 and CN14) published by the Northumberland and Durham Family History Society may be of value to researchers interested in this parish.
|All Saints, Morpeth, Church of England|
|St Aidan, Stobhill, Church of England|
|St James the Great, Morpeth, Church of England|
|St Mary the Virgin, Morpeth, Church of England|
|St George, Morperth, Presbyterian|
- Morpeth - Church Records - links and information.
- This area is within Northumberland Central Registration District.
- Certificates of birth, death and marriage can be ordered from Northumberland County Council.
- Photographs of Morpeth from Les Bell's Northumberland Cam website.
- Photographs of Morpeth from the FreeFoto.com website - Collection 1 - Collection 2.
- MorpethNet - the Internet Guide to Morpeth and District.
- The Northumberland Communities website includes pages relating to Hepscott and Morpeth. They provide "a range of learning resource material that reflects Northumberland's heritage, providing a base for studying the County's history. The website provides a starting point for understanding the development of communities in Northumberland. It also seeks to illustrate the range of sources for family and local history research that are available via Northumberland Archives Service."
- The section of The National Gazetteer (1868) relating to this parish - transcribed by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Morpeth to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Morpeth has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- The history of Morpeth Parish is included in:- Hodgson, J., History of Northumberland, Part 2, Volume 2. Newcastle, 1832. (Available on fiche from Ancestral Indexes).
- LNER Wartime Evacuation Documents N.EVAC 2 and N.EVAC 3 describing the arrangements for evacuating children from Newcastle and Gateshead to rural parts of Northumberland (including Morpeth), Co Durham, Yorkshire, Cumberland and Westmorland. The second document includes lists of schools with details of their places and times of departure and their destinations.
- Morpeth - Maps - links and information.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NZ192826 (Lat/Lon: 55.137648, -1.700068), Morpeth which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- Morpeth Parish was part of Morpeth Poor Law Union. The Union Workhouse was located in Newgate Street, Morpeth. Some records are held at Northumberland Archives Service, but these are of limited genealogical value.
- Peter Higginbotham has provided details, a map and photograph of Morpeth Workhouse.