"NETHER WITTON PAROCHIAL CHAPELRY. This Chapelry comprises the townships of Coat Yards, Ewesley, Healey and Comb Hill, Nether Witton, Nunnykirk, Ritton, and Colt Park, and Ritton White House. It is bounded by the parishes of Rothbury, Long Horsley, and Hartburn, to the latter of which it is annexed for ecclesiastical purposes, and consists chiefly of a fine rich vale, which comprises an area of 7,723 acres. Its population in 1801, was 494; in 1811, 439; in 1821, 460; in 1831, 520; in 1841, 464; and in 1851, 489 souls." [From History, Topography, and Directory of Northumberland, Whellan, 1855].
"WITTON (NETHER), a parish in the ... county of NORTHUMBERLAND, comprising the townships of Coat-Yards, or Coal-yards, Ewesley, Healy with Comb-Hill, Nether Witton, Nunnikirk, Ritton-Coltpark, and Ritton-Whitehouse, ..." [Samuel Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1831 © Mel Lockie]