Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for National Gazetteer (1868) - Netherwitton

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

National Gazetteer (1868) - Netherwitton

"NETHERWITTON, a chapelry in the W. division of Morpeth ward, county Northumberland, 8 miles N.W. of Morpeth, its post town, and 3 N.E. of Hartburn. The village is situated at the confluence of the river Font and the Ewesleybourn. The parish includes the townships of Coat-Yards, Ewesley, Healey, and Comb-Hill, Nether Witton, Nunnykirk, Ritton, and Colt Park. There is a woollen manufactory of small extent. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Durham, value £150, in the patronage of the Vicar of Hartburn. The church is dedicated to St. Giles. There is a National school, with a free lending library under the supervision of government.

"COATYARDS, a township in the parochial chapelry of Netherwitton, in the western division of the ward of Morpeth, in the county of Northumberland, 7 miles W. of Morpeth, and 3 N.W. of Nether Witton."

"COMB HILL, a hamlet in the parish of Netherwitton, in the western division of the ward of Morpeth, in the county of Northumberland, 2 miles N.W. of Nether Witten."

"EWESLEY, a township in the parish of Netherwitton, W. division of Morpeth ward, county Northumberland, 3 miles N.W. of Nether Witton, and 5 S. of Rothbury. The river Pont passes in the vicinity."

"HEALEY WITH COMB HILL, a township in the parish of Netherwitton, W. division of Morpeth ward, county Northumberland, 2 miles N.W. of Nether-Witton, and 8 N.W. of Morpeth."

"NUNNY KIRK, a township in the parish of Netherwitton, W. division of Morpeth ward, county Northumberland, 2 miles N.W. of Nether-Witton, and 8 N.W. of Morpeth. It is situated on the river Font, and contains Nunny-Kirk Hall, a stone mansion situated in a well-wooded vale."

"RITTON COLTPARK, (and Ritton Whitehouse), townships in the parish of Netherwitton, W. division of Morpeth ward, county Northumberland, 5½ miles S. of Rothbury. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in the collieries.

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]