"NEWBROUGH is a chapelry, township, and village, the property of the Commissioners of Greenwich Hospital, the Duke of Northumberland, Mrs. Wastell, Nicholas Todd, Esq., Nicholas Maughan, Esq., and the Rev. John Frederick Bigge, each of whom claims the manorial rights and privileges of his own property. This chapelry acknowledges Warden as the mother church. The township comprises an area of 6,705 acres, and its rateable value is £4,940. Population in 1801, 429; in 1811, 464; in 1821, 451; in 1831, 494; in 1841, 547; and in 1851, 551 souls. There are two extensive lead mines in this chapelry, one situated at Settling Stones, worked by Messrs. Hall; and the other at Stonecroft, carried on under the name of the Stonecroft Lead Mine Company, was established in 1851, on the property of Nicholas Todd, Esq." [From History, Topography, and Directory of Northumberland, Whellan, 1855].
"NEWBROUGH, a chapelry (parochial) in the northwestern division of TINDALE ward, county of NORTHUMBERLAND......" [Samuel Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1831 © Mel Lockie]