Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for National Gazetteer (1868) - Newburn

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

National Gazetteer (1868) - Newburn

"NEWBURN, a parish chiefly in the W. division of Castle ward, but partly also in the E. division of Tynedale ward, county Northumberland, 5 miles W. by N. of Newcastle-upon-Tyne, its post town, and 1 mile N.E. of Ryton railway station. It stretches along the northern bank of the river Tyne, near the line of the Roman Wall, where Lord Conway was defeated by General Leslie in 1640. The parish, which is extensive, comprises Newburn Hall, Denton, Wallbottle, and 12 other townships There are extensive steel works in the town, which in the reign of John was styled a borough. Along the bank of the river are several coal-staiths, iron-foundries, glass-works, chemical works, brick and tile manufactories, and a paper-mill. The living is a vicarage* with the curacies of Holy Trinity and St. Saviour annexed, in the diocese of Durham, value £230, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, is an ancient cruciform structure with a square tower containing two bells. The church has a stained window, also monuments to the Delaval family. The church was thoroughly restored and partly rebuilt in 1827. The register dates from 1659. The parochial charities produce about £24 per annum. There is a National school for both sexes, entirely supported by the Duke of Northumberland, also places of worship for the Wesleyans. A court-leet is held yearly. At Newburn and Lemington Point are salmon preserves, the property of the Duke of Northumberland, who is lord of the manor and principal landowner."

"BLACK-CALLERTON, a township in the parish of Newburn, Castle ward, in the county of Northumberland, 6 miles to the N.W. of Newcastle."

"BUTTERLAW, a township in the parish of Newburn, Castle ward, in the county of Northumberland, 5 miles to the W. of Newcastle-on-Tyne."

"DALTON, a township in the parish of Newburn, E. division of Tynedale ward, in the county of Northumberland, 9½ miles N.W. of Newcastle-upon-Tyne and 4½ N. of Newburn. The chapel, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, is a stone structure. There is also a day school."

"EAST DENTON, a township in the parish of Newburn, in the county of Northumberland, 3 miles N.W. of Newcastle. It is situated on the river Tyne, near the Wall, and contains Scotswood, which formerly belonged to Tynemouth Priory. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in the coal mines and in the manufacture of paper.

"NEWBIGGIN, a township in the parish of Newburn, W. division of Castle ward, county Northumberland, 4 miles N.W. of Newcastle-upon-Tyne, its nearest railway station. It is situated on the W. of the high road to Ponteland, and contains only a few farmhouses."

"NEWBURN HALL, a township in the parish of Newburn, W. division of Castle ward, county Northumberland, 1 mile E. of Newbury, and 3 miles W. of Newcastle-on-Tyne. It is situated on the northern bank of the river Tyne, and contains the village of Lemington, at which place are staiths in connection with the coal-pits at Wallbottle and Wylam. The coals are discharged into keels, and thence shipped to Newcastle and Shields, and various other places. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in the collieries and in a flint-glass manufactory. Lemington Hall is the principal residence."

"NORTH DISSINGTON, a township in the parish of Newburn, in the county of Northumberland, 10 miles W. of Newcastle-upon-Tyne. It is situated on the river Pont, and was the seat of the Delavels. There was formerly a chapel here.

"SCOTSWOOD, a village in the township of East Denton and parish of Newburn, county Northumberland, 4 miles W. of Newcastle. It is a station on the Newcastle and Carlisle and Border Counties railways. Ramsay's paper mill is in this village."

"SOUTH DISSINGTON, a township in the parish of Newburn, in the county of Northumberland, 1 mile from North Dissington. Dissington Hall is the seat of the Collingwood family.

"SUGLEY, a township in the parish of Newburn, W. division of Castle ward, county Northumberland, 4 miles W. of Newcastle-upon-Tyne, and half a mile from Blaydon railway station. It is situated on the river Tyne, adjoining the village of Lemington. The extensive factory termed the Tyne Iron Works affords employment to the greater part of the inhabitants. The living is a curacy annexed to the vicarage of Newburn, in the diocese of Durham. The church is dedicated to St. Saviour. It is situated in Sugley Field, and was built in 1836. There is a school for both sexes."

"THROCKLEY, a township in the parish of Newburn, W. division of Castle ward, county Northumberland, 6½ miles N.W. of Newcastle-upon-Tyne, and 2 N. of Ryton railway station. The village is situated near the river Tyne and the Roman wall. There are extensive collieries and brick works. The Wesleyans have a chapel, built in 1850. There is a school, partly supported by the governors of Greenwich Hospital."

"WALLBOTTLE, a township in the parish of Newburn, W. division of Castle ward, county Northumberland, 5 miles N.W. of Newcastle-upon-Tyne, its post town, and 22 1 N. of Ryton railway station. It is situated on the turnpike-road from Hexham to Newcastle, and near the river Tyne. The inhabitants are chiefly employed in the collieries, which are of great magnitude. The Roman wall formerly passed through this township. There are schools for both sexes, and the Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have each a chapel. The whole of the soil belongs to the Duke of Northumberland."

"WEST DENTON, a township in the parish of Newburn, in the county of Northumberland, 3 miles N.W. of Newcastle-upon-Tyne, with which it is connected by the Newcastle and Carlisle and the Border Counties railways, which both have stations at Scotswood within this township. A suspension bridge has been thrown across the river Tyne at the hamlet of Scotswood, where are two large paper-mills, also coal, tar, copperas, and lamp-black works.

"WHORLTON, a township in the parish of Newburn, W. division of Castle ward, county Northumberland, 43 miles N.W. of Newcastle. It is divided into East and West Whorlton."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]