"NORHAM, OR NORHAMSHIRE, is a parish co-extensive with the hundred of the same name, and formerly, until the passing of the 7 and 8 Vict. c. 61, a detached part of the county of Durham. It is bounded on the north and west by the river Tweed, on the south by Glendale Ward, and on the east by Islandshire. It comprises the chapelry of Cornhill, and the townships of Duddo, Felkington, Grindon, Horncliffe, Loan-end, Longridge, Norham, Norham Mains, Shoreswood, Thornton, and Twizell, whose united area is 19,849 statute acres. The population of Norhamshire, in 1801, was 3,384; in 1811, 3,524; in 1821, 3,906; in 1831, 3,744; in 1841, 3,757; and in 1851, 4,289 souls. There are many freeholders in the parish, but in ancient times the greater part of the lands here were held by the Greys and the Nevilles. A considerable number of the inhabitants are employed in the Tweed Salmon fisheries." [From History, Topography, and Directory of Northumberland, Whellan, 1855].