"ROCK is a chapelry, township, and village, the property of the Rev. R. Bosanquet, J.P. The township comprises an area of 1,973 acres, and the number of its inhabitants in 1801, was 160; in 1811, 152; in 1821, 185; in 1831, 206; in 1841, 227; and in 1851, 250 souls. .... THE VILLAGE of Rock is situated on an eminence commanding a fine prospect of the surrounding country. The soil in the neighborhood is very fertile, and the scenery in the vicinity is grand and romantic. THE CHAPEL is dedicated to S.S. Philip and James." [From History, Topography, and Directory of Northumberland, Whellan, 1855].
"ROCK, a chapelry in the parish of EMBLETON, southern division of BAMBROUGH ward, county of NORTHUMBERLAND ......" [Samuel Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1831 © Mel Lockie]