"ROTHBURY parish is bounded on the north by Whittingham, on the west by Elsdon, on the south by Hartburn, Nether-Witton, and Long Horsley, and on the east by Edlingham. It is about nine miles in length by the same in breadth, and comprises twenty-eight townships, whose united area is 34,798 acres. The population in 1801, was 2,236; in 1811, 2,428; in l821, 2,609; in 1831, 2,869; in 1841, 2,555; and in 1851, 2,545 souls. The soil of this parish exhibits great variety. In some parts we find rich pastures and fine cornfields, in others, sterile hills, naked rocks, and black heaths. The famous forest of Rothbury has long since disappeared, and widely scattered farm-houses and cottages occupy its site. The whole of the parish is well watered by the river Coquet, and several smaller streams. Whinstone, limestone, ironstone, and coal are found here." [From History, Topography, and Directory of Northumberland, Whellan, 1855].
"ROTHBURY, a market-town and parish in the western division of COQUETDAI,E ward, county of NORTHUMBERLAND, comprising the townships of Bickerton, Caistron, Chartington, Debdon, Fallowlees, Flotterton, Hellinghill, Hepple, Hepple-Demesne, Hesley- Hurst, Lee-Ward, Mounthealy, Newtown, Paperhaugh, Raw, Rothbury, Rye-Hill, Snitter,Thropton, GreatTossen, Little Tossen, High and Low Trewhitt, Warton, Whitton, and Wreigh-Hill ...." [Samuel Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1831 © Mel Lockie]