"SHILBOTTLE parish comprises the townships of Guyzance, Hazon, Newton-on-the-Moor, Shilbottle, Whittle, and Woodhouse, and is bounded on the north by Alnwick, on the south-east by Warkworth, on the south-west by Felton parish, and on the east by Lesbury. It is about four miles in length by three and a half in breadth, and embraces an area of 7,704 acres. This parish is in a high state of cultivation, has an excellent coal mine, and an abundance of limestones. The population in 1801, was l,031; in 1811, 1,104; in l821, 1,153; in 1831, 1,195; in 1841, 1,208; and in 1851, 1,298 souls." [From History, Topography, and Directory of Northumberland, Whellan, 1855].