National Gazetteer (1868) - Shotley
The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"SHOTLEY, a parish and township in the E. division of Tynedale ward, county Northumberland, 9 miles S.E. of Hexham, and 6 S.E. of the Riding Mile station on the Newcastle and Carlisle railway. Gateshead is its post town. It is situated near the river Derwent, and contains the chapelry of Blanchland, or High Quarter, and the townships of Newbiggin and Shotley, or Low Quarter, with the hamlets of Unthank, Allens Ford, Greenhead, Black Headley, Kiln Pit Hill, and Shotley Field. The soil is a mixture of clay and sand. A considerable portion of the inhabitants are employed in the coal and lead mines, and in the paper mills, where the finest kinds of writing-paper are made. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Durham, value £139. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, has a tower containing two bells. There is also a district church at Blanchland, erected in 1835, the living of which is a perpetual curacy,* value £198. The parochial charities produce about £14, which go to the school. The Baptists have a place of worship. H. C. Silvertop, and Thomas Wilson, Esqs., are lords of the manor."[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
"NEW BIGGEN, a township in the parish of Shotley, Tindale ward, in the county of Northumberland, 9 miles to the S. of Hexham. It lies on the border of Durham, on the banks of the river Derwent.
"NEWBIGGIN, a township in the parish of Shotley, E. division of Tynedale ward, county Northumberland, 9 miles S. by E. of Hexham, its railway station. It is situated on the northern bank of the river Derwent, and is wholly agricultural. The Rev. Daniel Capper is lord of the manor and sole landowner."
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]