"SLALEY parish is principally the property of W. B. Beaumont, Esq., M.P., James Sillick, Esq., George Carr, Esq., Mr. John Blackburne, Mr Thomas Lamb, Mr. T. Teasdale, J. J. Wrightson and the Commissioners of Greenwich Hospital. It is a wild and romantic district, lying between the Devil-Water and the Dipton Burn, and is bounded by the parishes of Corbridge, Bywell, Shotley, and Hexham. It has no dependent townships, is about four miles in length by three in breadth, and comprises an area of 7,430 acres. The population in 1801, was 585; in 1811, 558; in 1821, 582; in 1831, 616; in 1841, 547; and in 1851, 581 souls. The rateable value of the parish is £2,377, and the gross estitmated rental £2,981 5s. .... THE CHURCH is a small stone edifice, capable of accommodating about 500 persons." [From History, Topography, and Directory of Northumberland, Whellan, 1855].