St John Lee
"ST. JOHN LEE is a parish, comprising the townships of Acomb (West), Anick, Anick Grange, Bingfield, Cocklaw, Fallowfield, Hallington, Portgate, Sandhoe, and Wall. It is bounded by the parishes of Thockrington, Chollerton, Simonburn, Warden, Hexham, Stamfordham, and Corbridge, and forms part of the liberty of Hexhamshire. It is about seven miles in length, by four in breadth, and comprises an area of 15,090 acres. Population in 1801, 1,802; in 1811, 1,910; in 1821, 1,952; in 1831, 1,962; in 1841, 1,947; and in 1851, 2,073 souls. The soil of this parish is very rich, and the surface both varied and beautiful. Coal and lead are found in large quantities, and the district is well watered by the northern branch of the Tyne, and intersected by the Newcastle and Carlisle Railway." [From History, Topography, and Directory of Northumberland, Whellan, 1855].
- Northumberland County Record Office hold copies of Census Returns 1841 - 1891 and provide a useful User Guide
- The 1851 Census Index (microfiche CN16 and CN18) Hexham, Corbridge, Slaley and St John Lee (part) (PRO piece HO107/2414 folios 272-610) (Type A) (Book)published by the https://www.ndfhs.org.uk/ may be of value to researchers interested in this parish.
- St John Lee - Church Records - links and information.
- This area is within Northumberland West Registration District.
- Certificates of birth, death and marriage can be ordered from Northumberland County Council.
- The Northumberland Communities website includes pages relating to Acomb. They provide "a range of learning resource material that reflects Northumberland's heritage, providing a base for studying the County's history. The website provides a starting point for understanding the development of communities in Northumberland. It also seeks to illustrate the range of sources for family and local history research that are available via Northumberland Archives Service."
- The section of The National Gazetteer (1868) relating to this parish - transcribed by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from St John Lee to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which St John Lee has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- The history of St John Lee Parish is included in:- Northumberland County History Committee, History of Northumberland, Volume 4. Newcastle, A. Reid, 1897.
- Stagshaw Bank Fair - the largest one-day fair in England - was held on the day before Whit Sunday and on July 4th. These fairs took place at Stagshaw Bank Common which was partly in this parish and partly in Corbridge Parish.
- St John Lee - Maps - links and information.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NY959709 (Lat/Lon: 55.032794, -2.065644), St John Lee which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- St John Lee Parish was part of Hexham Poor Law Union. The Union Workhouse was located at Peth Head, Hexham. Some useful records are held at Northumberland Record Office
- Peter Higginbotham has provided details, a map and photographs of Hexham Workhouse.