"STAMFORDHAM parish comprises the townships of Bitchfield, Black-Heddon, Cheeseburn Grange, Fenwick, Hawkwell, Heugh, Ingoe, Kearsley, Matfen (East), Matfen (West), Nesbit, Ouston, Ryal, and Wallridge. It is bounded on the north by Bolam, on the west by St. John Lee and Halton, on the south by Corbridge and Ovingham, and on the east by Heddon-on-the-Wall and Newburn. It is about five and a half miles long, by four and a half broad, and contains an area of 18,089 acres. Population in l801, 1,652; in 1811, 1,813; in 1821, 1,827; in 1831, 1,736; in 1841, 1,777; and in 1851, 1,781 souls. This parish comprises the finest part of Tindale Ward; it is well wooded, and some of the lands are occasionally enriched by the overflowing of the river Pont, which rises a little to the south of St. Oswald's, in the parish of St. John Lee, and after passing through Ponteland, to the west of the marshy lake called Prestwick Carr, it empties itself into the Cat-raw, which proceeds in a north-easterly direction to Stannington Vale, and then assumes the name of the 'Blyth' river, under which name the united streams flow to the sea at Blyth." [From History, Topography, and Directory of Northumberland, Whellan, 1855].