Hide

National Gazetteer (1868) - Stamfordham

hide
Hide

1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland

"STAMFORDHAM, a parish in the N.E. division of Tynedale ward, county Northumberland, 10 miles N.E. of Hexham, and 12 N.W. of Newcastle. The parish, which is extensive, comprises the chapelry of Matfen, besides 14 townships The substratum abounds with coal and limestone, which are partially worked. The village is considerable, and was formerly a market town under a charter granted to the Swinburnes in 1399. The market has long been discontinued, but the market cross, erected by Sir John Swinburne in 1735, is still in good preservation. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Durham, value £520, in the patronage of the lord chancellor. The parish church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient structure, containing effigies of the Fenwicks of Fen Tower. There are also a chapel-of-ease at Ryall, and a district church, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, at Matfen. A free school was founded in 1663, by Sir T. Widdrington, who endowed it with 76 acres of land, now producing £200 per annum. The charities consist of a rent-charge of £12, bequeathed by Henry Paston, in 1698, to be annually distributed amongst the poor. Fairs are held on the second Thursday in April and 14th August, chiefly for cattle and pigs, also statute fairs on the Thursday before Old May Day and the last Thursday in February."

"BITCHFIELD, a township in the parish of Stamfordham, Tynedale ward, in the county of Northumberland, 13 miles to the N.W. of Newcastle."

"BLACKHEDDON, a township in the parish of Stamfordham, Tynedale ward, in the county of Northumberland, 10 miles to the S.W. of Morpeth. The Tynedale hounds meet at the village."

"CHEESEBURN-GRANGE, a township in the parish of Stamfordham, in the north-eastern division of the ward of Tynedale, in the county of Northumberland, 6 miles from the Wylam railway station. Newcastle is its post town. The Hall is a handsome stone building, annexed to which is a Catholic chapel, and is occupied by E. Riddell, Esq., who is lord of the manor."

"EAST MATFEN, a township in the parish of Stamfordham, N.E. division of Tynedale ward, county Northumberland, 2 miles S.W. of Stamfordham, and 8 N.E. of Hexham. It contains the hamlet of Wall Houses, on the site of the Roman Wall. Large quantities of bricks and tiles are made here.

"FENWICK, a township in the parish of Stamfordham, N.E. division of Tynedale ward, county Northumberland, 1½ mile N.W. of Stamfordham, and 9 miles N.E. of Henham. It is situated in the vicinity of the river Pont. This was the ancient seat of the Fenwicks. Coal is obtained here. Some years ago several gold coins of the reign of Edward III. were found in this neighbourhood. Sir E. B. Blackett, Bart., is lord of the manor. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment under an Enclosure Act in 1779. Fenwick Tower is now in ruins."

"HAWKWELL, a township in the parish of Stamfordham, N.E. division of Tynedale ward, county Northumberland, 10 miles N.E. of Hexham, and 12 N.W. of Newcastle-upon-Tyne. It is situated near the river Pont, and contains part of the village of Stamfordham."

"HEUGH, a township in the parish of Stamfordham, N.E. division of Tynedale ward, county Northumberland, 11 miles N.E. of Hexham, and 1 mile N.E. of Stamfordham. The soil is loamy. The village is considerable. Sir John Edward Swinburne, Bart. is lord of the manor."

"INGOE, a township in the parish of Stamfordham, N.E. division of the ward of Tynedale, county Northumberland, 9 miles N.E. of Hexham. The inhabitants of this township, which is of large extent, are chiefly engaged in agriculture and the rearing of cattle. The Duke of Northumberland is lord of the manor and chief landowner. The Primitive Methodists have a place of worship, and there is a village school, built by public subscription in 1851. Ingoe Hall is the principal residence."

"KEARSLEY, a township in the parish of Stamfordham, N.E. division of Tynedale ward, county Northumberland, 10 miles N.E. of Hexham, and 4 N.W. of the parish church of Stamfordham."

"NESBIT, a township in the parish of Stamfordham, N.E. division of Tynedale ward, county Northumberland, 2 miles S. of Stamfordham, and 9 N.E. of Hexham. It is situated near the river Pont."

"OUSTON, a township in the parish of Stamfordham, N.E. division of Tynedale ward, county Northumberland, 1½ mile S.W. of Stamfordham, and 9 miles N.E. of Hexham."

"RYALL, a township and chapelry in the parish of Stamfordham, N.E. division of Tynedale ward, county Northumberland, 2 miles N. of West Matfen, and 7 N.W. of Wylam, its nearest railway station, and 9 N.E. of Hexham. The soil is of a clayey and loamy nature, with a subsoil of limestone and freestone. The church is an ancient structure, and was formerly a chapel-of-ease to Stamfordham, but is now in the district of West Matfen."

"WALRIDGE, a township in the parish of Stamfordham, N.E. of Tynedale ward, county Northumberland, 10 miles N.E. of Hexham."

"WEST MATFEN, a township in the parish of Stamfordham, N.E. division of Tynedale ward, county Northumberland, 9 miles N.E. of Hexham. The village is considerable, and in the vicinity are traces of ancient foundations. Here was an upright stone pillar-called the "Stob Stone," and near it a tumulus, supposed to have been a Druidical mausoleum in which four unhewn stone coffins containing human ashes were found.

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]