"STANNINGTON parish is divided into three divisions, called respectively Stannington North-East Quarter, Stannington North-West Quarter, and Stannington South Quarter, which comprise the townships of Bellasis-with-Boghall, Blagdon-with-Milkhope, Clifton-with-Coldwell, Duddoes-with-Whinney Hill, Plessy-with-Shotton, Saltwick, Stannington, and Stannington Vale, whose united area is 10,093 acres. The population in 1801, was 1,252; in 1811, 1,270; in 1821, 963; in 1831, 1,252: in 1841, 1,121; and in 1851, 1,000 souls. This decrease of population is attributed to the disuse of a colliery, and a spinning mill. The soil of this district is generally rich and well cultivated. The principal landowners are the Earl of Carlisle and Sir Matthew White Ridley, Bart. Stannington parish is bounded on the north by Morpeth, on the west by Whalton and Ponteland, on the south by Ponteland, and on the east by Bedlingtonshire, and the chapelries of Cramlington and Horton." [From History, Topography, and Directory of Northumberland, Whellan, 1855].