Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for National Gazetteer (1868) - Stannington

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

National Gazetteer (1868) - Stannington

"STANNINGTON, a parish in the W. division of Castle ward, county Northumberland, 5 miles S.E. of Morpeth, its post town, and 2 W. of Netherton. The village, which is considerable, is situated on the river Blyth, at the mouth of which is the seaport of that name. The parish is divided into Blagdon, Bellasis, Clifton, Duddo, and Plessey. The manor formerly belonged to Roger de Merlai, the Greystokes, Somervilles, &c. The soil consists of clay, sand, and loam, with a subsoil of sandstone and clay. A portion of the inhabitants are employed in the coal mines, flax mills, sail and floorcloth manufactories. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Durham, value £355, in the patronage of the Bishop of Chester. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient edifice with a tower and one bell. The register dates from 1658. The parochial charities produce about £11 per annum. There is an endowed Church of England school for both sexes, also a Sunday-school. There is a reformatory school for boys, situated near Clifton, for the counties of Durham and Northumberland. Blagdon Hall is the principal residence. The Earl of Carlisle is lord of the manor."

"BELLASIS, a township in the parish of Stannington, Castle ward, in the county of Northumberland, 5 miles from Morpeth. It is situated on the north side of the river Blyth."

"BLAGDON, a township in the parish of Stannington, Castle ward, in the county of Northumberland, 8 miles to the N. of Newcastle. In the vicinity is Blagdon Park, the seat of Sir Al. W. Ridley, Bart."

"CLIFTON-WITH-COLDWALL, a township in the parish of Stannington, in the county of Northumberland, 4 miles S. of Morpeth."

"COLD WALL, a township in the parish of Stannington, in the county of Northumberland, 4 miles S. of Morpeth."

"DUDDO, a township in the parish of Stannington, in the county of Northumberland, 42 miles S. of Morpeth."

"PLESSEY-WITH-SHOTTON, a township in the parish of Stannington, county Northumberland, 9 miles N. of Newcastle, and 6 S. by E. of Morpeth. It is a station on the North-Eastern railway."

"SALTWICK WITH DUDDO, a township in the parish of Stannington, county Northumberland, 4½ miles S.W. of Morpeth."

"SHOTTON, a township in the parish of Stannington, county Northumberland, 6 miles S.E. of Morpeth, and 8 N. of Newcastle."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]