"THOCKRINGTON parish comprises the townships of Bavington Little, Carrycoats, Sweethope, and Thockrington, and is bounded by the parishes of Kirk Whelpington, Kirkharle, and Chollerton. It is about four miles in length by two miles and a half in breadth, and comprises an area of 6,943 acres. Its population in 1801, was 182; in 1811, 158; in 1821, 201; in 1831. 203; in 1841, 193; and in 1851, 173 souls. The land in this parish is chiefly used for grazing purposes." [From History, Topography, and Directory of Northumberland, Whellan, 1855].