"THORNEYBURN parish is bounded on the east by Bellingham, on the west by Falstone, and extends ftom tbe North Tyne along the west side of the Tarset Burn, to the borders of Redesdale. It comprises the townships of West Tarset and Thorneyburn whose united area is 20,133 acres, and its population in l801, was 322; in 1811, 363; in 1821, 358; in 1831, 334; in 1841, 359; and in 1851, 340 souls. This was formerly included in the extensive parish of Simonburn, from which it was severed by the Act of 51, George III., c. 194. The greater part of this district is wild and mountainous, yet it affords good pasturage for sheep and cattle." [From History, Topography, and Directory of Northumberland, Whellan, 1855].