National Gazetteer (1868) - Thorneyburn
1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
"THORNEYBURN, a parish in the N.W. division of Tynedale ward, county Northumberland, 4 miles N.W. of Bellingham, its post town, and 24 N.W. of Hexham. It is an occasional station on the North British railway. The village is situated on Tarsetburn, in a mountainous district near the river North Tyne. The parish, which includes the hamlet of West Tarset, is one of the five new parishes formed out of the parish of Timonburn in 1814. The surface is hilly, and the soil sandy in the low grounds, but loamy in the uplands. The land is chiefly in pasture, with a small proportion of woodland. There are a colliery and two limestone quarries. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Durham, value £200, in the patronage of the governors of Greenwich Hospital. The church was erected in 1818, at the cost of £4,000, by the governors of Greenwich Hospital. The register dates from 1818. There is a Sunday-school."[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
"WEST TARSET, a township in the parish of Thorneyburn, county Northumberland, 3 miles N.W. of Bellingham. It is a station on the Border Counties railway. The township is situated on Tarset Burn, which takes its rise in Kielder Moor, under the Cheviots, and flows 15 miles S.E. to the river Tyne at Graystead. Here was formerly an ancient castle of the Comins.
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]