"TWEEDMOUTH, a parish and seaport town in the hundred of Islandshire, county Northumberland, formerly in Durham, 1 mile from Berwick-upon-Tweed, of which it forms a suburb, and 13 miles from Coldstream. It is a junction station on the North-Eastern railway, where the Kelso branch turns off. The town, which is considerable, is situated on the southern bank, and at the mouth of the river Tweed, over which is a bridge connecting it with Berwick. The streets are irregularly built, and well lighted with gas. There are extensive steam flour and saw mills, iron foundries, a brewery, &c. Many of the inhabitants are employed in the salmon fishery. The soil is a rich loam. It is a petty-sessions town. The parish includes the townships of Ord, Spittal, and Tweedmouth. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Durham, value £150, in the patronage of the dean and chapter. The church, dedicated to St. Bartholomew, was built in 1783, and enlarged in 1841. In the churchyard is a gravestone to Thomas Bell, of Spittal, who died in 1791, aged 105, and a tombstone to James Stuart, a famed Border character, who died at the age of 115 years. There is a National school for both sexes, at which a Sunday-school is held; there are also a Free Scotch Church, and a chapel for the church of Scotland. An extramural cemetery was constructed in 1857, in which two chapels have been erected. The corporation of Berwick are the lords of the manor. A feast is held on the third Sunday in July."
"ORD, a township in the parish of Tweedmouth, hundred of Islandshire, county Northumberland, formerly in Durham, 1 mile S.W. of Berwick. It is situated on the river Tweed."
"SPITTLE, (or Spittal), a township in the parish of Tweedmouth, hundred of Islandshire, county Northumberland, formerly in Durham, 1 mile S.E. of Berwick-on-Tweed, its post town. It is an improving village, situated on the coast of the North Sea, at the mouth of the river Tweed, and consists of two principal streets, one about a mile in length. It is a coastguard station and bathing-place much frequented during the summer. There is also a mineral spa. In the village is an iron foundry and spade and shovel manufactory. The inhabitants are engaged in fish curing. In the summer months two steamers ply between this village and Berwick every half-hour during the day. There is a large school for both sexes. The United Presbyterians have a chapel. The Berwick and Tweedmouth Gas Company's works are situated in this township.