"ULGHAM parochial chapelry comprises the three joint townships of Ulgham, Ulgham Grange, and Stobswood. It is bounded by the parishes of Hebron, Warkworth, Widdrington, Woodhorn, and Bothal, and its area is 3,615 acres. Population in 1801, 320; in 1811, 340; in 1821, 348: in 1831, 359; in 1841, 368; and in 1851, 329 souls. The rateable value is £5,970 10s. 6d.; and, with the exception of a small portion of the township of Ugham, the whole chapelry is the property of the Earl of Carlisle. The soil is in some parts good, and in others poor and unproductive. THE VILLAGE of Ulgham is pleasantly situated on the south bank of the river Line, five miles north-east by north of Morpeth. THE CHAPEL, dedicated to St. John, is a neat stone structure, and the living is annexed to the rectory of Morpeth. The register of this chapelry commences in 1602. Here is a neat school, erected about 36 years ago, by the Earl of Carlisle, John J. Robson, teacher." [From History, Topography, and Directory of Northumberland, Whellan, 1855].
"ULGHAM, a chapelry (parochial) in the eastern division of MORPETH ward, county of NORTHUMBERLAND, ..." [Samuel Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1831 © Mel Lockie]
"ULGHAM, a chapelry in the parish of Morpeth, in the E. division of Morpeth ward, county Northumberland, 5½ miles N.E. of Morpeth, its post town, and 2 S. of the Widdrington railway station. It is situated on the Line Water, and is formed of the three townships of Ulgham, Ulgham Grange, and Stobswood....." [The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Colin Hinson ©2003]
- Northumberland County Record Office holds copies of Census Returns 1841 - 1891 and provides a useful User Guide
- The 1851 Census Index (microfiche CN24) Woodhorn, Widdrington, Ulgham, Warkworth (part), Bothal, Hebron & Felton (part) (PRO piece HO 107/2418 folios 461-641) (Type B) (Book) published by the https://www.ndfhs.org.uk/may be of value to researchers interested in this parish.
- Ulgham - Church Records - links and information.
- This area is within Northumberland Central Registration District.
- Certificates of birth, death and marriage can be ordered from Northumberland County Council.
- The section of The National Gazetteer (1868) relating to this parish - transcribed by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Ulgham to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Ulgham has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- The history of Ulgham Parish is included in:- Hodgson, J., History of Northumberland, Part 2, Volume 2. Newcastle, 1832. (Available on fiche from Ancestral Indexes).
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NZ233932 (Lat/Lon: 55.232612, -1.634816), Ulgham which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- Ulgham Parish was part of Morpeth Poor Law Union. The Union Workhouse was located in Newgate Street, Morpeth. Some records are held at Northumberland Record Office, but these are of limited genealogical value.
- Peter Higginbotham has provided details, a map and photograph of Morpeth Workhouse.