Hide

National Gazetteer (1868) - Ulgham

hide
Hide

1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland

"ULGHAM, a chapelry in the parish of Morpeth, in the E. division of Morpeth ward, county Northumberland, 5½ miles N.E. of Morpeth, its post town, and 2 S. of the Widdrington railway station. It is situated on the Line Water, and is formed of the three townships of Ulgham, Ulgham Grange, and Stobswood. In the centre of the village is the ancient market-cress. The living is a perpetual curacy annexed to the rectory of Morpeth, in the diocese of Durham. The church, dedicated to St. John, has been recently re-erected, at the expense of the rector. There is an endowed parochial school. The Earl of Carlisle is lord of the manor."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]