"WARDEN is a parish, with no dependent townships, but it formerly included the present parochial chapelries of Haydon Bridge and Newbrough. with their respective townships. It comprises an area of 3,122 acres, and its rateable value is £4,455 l0s. The population in 1801, was 349; in 1811, 396; in 1821, 498; in 1831, 540; in 1841, 532; and in 1851, 646 souls. The soil in this neighbourhood is generally fertile, and the scenery diversified and beautiful. Coal and limestone are found here in considerable quantities, and at Fourstones there are collieries and limekilns, which are extensively worked by Mr. William Benson, of Allerwash House. At West Boat there is an elegant suspension bridge, which was erected in 1826, at a cost of £5,000. The principal landowners in this parish are Nathaniel Clayton, Esq., John Errington, Esq., and the Duke of Northumberland, each of whom claims the manorial rights of his own property. Warden was formerly the lordship of Anthony, Lord Lucy, of Cockermouth, for which, in the reign of Edward II., he obtained a grant of the liberty of free warren, with other manors in this county. He died in 1344, leaving the manor to Thomas, Lord Lucy, in whose family it continued for many generations." [From History, Topography, and Directory of Northumberland, Whellan, 1855].