National Gazetteer (1868) - Warden
1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
"WARDEN, a parish in the N.W. division of Tynedale ward, county Northumberland, 2½ miles N.W. of Hexham. This parish is situated between the Roman wall of Severus and the North and South Tyne rivers, which form a junction at the eastern extremity of the parish, here traversed by the line of the Newcastle and Carlisle railway. The soil in the valleys is of a sandy nature, and on the ridges of the hills it is various, resting principally on freestone. Lime and coal are worked, and there is a paper mill. The living is a vicarage* with that of Newbrough annexed, in the diocese of Durham, joint value £510. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, was rebuilt about 1805. There is also a chapel-of-ease at Haydon Bridge. The local charities produce above £1,000 a year, principally the endowment of Haydon Bridge Grammar school and almshouses. On an eminence called Castle Hill are vestiges of a circular British fortification, afterwards occupied by the Romans as a camp, where band corn mills, and other antiquities have been found."[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
"STAWARD LE PEEL, a border castle in the parish of Warden, county Northumberland, 3 miles S.W. of Haydon Bridge. The ruins are situated on the river Allen."
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]