"WARK parish comprises the townships of Shitlington (High) Quarter, Shitlington (Low) Quarter, Wark, and Warksburn, which were formerly a portion of the extensive parish of Simonburn, from which they were severed and made into a distinct parish, by the act of 51 Geo. III. cap. 194. It comprises an area of 22,986 acres, and its population in 1801, was 728; in 1811, 783; in 1821, 866; in 1831, 861; in 1841, 940; and in 1851, 865 souls. There are traces of numerous encampments in various parts of this district. The Raven's Crag, so called from its being the solitary and secure retreat of that bird, is a steep range of freestone rocks, situated at the southern extremity of the parish. At the west end of these lofty crags, there is a fine spring overshadowed by a natural arch, and in its vicinity, are broken masses of rock lying in the wildest disorder." [From History, Topography, and Directory of Northumberland, Whellan, 1855].