"WHALTON is a parish comprising the townships of Newham, Ogle, Riplington, and Whalton. It is bounded on the north by Meldon parish, on the west by Tindale Ward, on the south by Newburn Parish, and on the east by Ponteland. It comprises an area of 5,918 acres, and its population in 1801, was 470; in 1811, 541; in 1821, 534; in 1831, 548; in 1841, 531; and in 1851, 461 souls. The decrease of population in Whalton, which is an agricultural parish, is attributed to the employment of single men instead of married labourers as formerly. The rivers Blyth and Howburn intersect this parish." [From History, Topography, and Directory of Northumberland, Whellan, 1855].