"WHITLEY. ..... possesses a Chapel of Ease, dedicated to St. Helen. It is a neat stone structure, occupying a pleasant situation on the west bank of the Devil-water, about four and a half miles south by west of Hexham. The living, which is a curacy under the church of Hexham, has been three times augmented under Queen Anne's bounty, and is now worth about £110 per annum. Patron, the Rev Michael Sisson; incumbent, the Rev. William Sisson. The National School is a neat stone building, erected by subscription, in 1849, and has an endowment of £4 10s. per annum, bequeathed by the late Rev. Abraham Brown, in 1812, for which five poor children receive a gratuitous education. The same gentleman also left £4 10s. yearly to the poor of this chapelry." [From History, Topography, and Directory of Northumberland, Whellan, 1855].