"WHITTINGHAM parish comprises the townships of Callaley with Yetlington, Glanton, Lorbottle, Ryle Great, Ryle Little, Shawdon, and Whittingham, and is bounded on the north by Ingram and Eglingham, on the west by Alnham, on the south by Rothbury, and on the east by Edlingham. It is about four miles in length by the same in breadth, and embraces an area of 17,484 acres. Its population in 1801, was 1,465; in 1811, 1,862; in 1821, 1,749; in 1831, 1,790; in 1841, 1,896, and in 1851, 1,905 souls. The parish is very fertile, well enclosed, and cultivated. The tithes were commuted in 1841, award of rent charge, £980, of which £938 is for the township of Whittingham, and £42 for that of Little Ryle, and £686 to the Dean and Chapter of Carlisle, as tithe owners, and £294 to the Vicar of Whittingham." [From History, Topography, and Directory of Northumberland, Whellan, 1855].
- Northumberland County Record Office holds copies of Census Returns 1841 - 1891 and provides a useful User Guide
- The 1851 Census Index (microfiche CN27 and CN33) Embleton, Edlington, Whittingham, Eglingham (part), Longhoughton, Howick and Ellingham (PRO piece HO107/2419 folios 564-820) (Type B) (Book) published by thehttps://www.ndfhs.org.uk/may be of value to researchers interested in this parish.
- 1891 Census Wooler (Screnwood, Alnham, Prendwick, Unthank, Netherton, North and South Side, Great and Little Ryle, Callaley and Yetlington, Lorbottle, Whittingham, Snitter, High and Low Trewitt, Cartington, Thropton, Warton, Flotterton Mount Healey, Rothbury, Whitton, Newtown, Tosson, Bickerton, Caistron, Fallowlees, Hollinghill, Hesleyhurst Row, Brinkburn High and Low Ward, Longframlington, Todburn, Wingates, Ritton Colt Park, Ritton White House, Ewesley, Healey and Combe Hill, Nunneykirk, Coatyards, Greenleighton, Harwood Fairnley, Hartington, Hartington Hall and Rothley) (PRO piece RG12/4272) (Type B) (Book) (Volume 82) published by the https://www.ndfhs.org.uk/may be of value to researchers interested in this parish.
- Whittingham - Church Records - links and information.
- This area is within Northumberland North Second Registration District.
- Certificates of birth, death and marriage can be ordered from Northumberland County Council.
- Photographs of Whittingham and Thrunton Wood from Les Bell's Northumberland Cam website.
- The Northumberland Communities website includes pages relating to Powburn. They provide "a range of learning resource material that reflects Northumberland's heritage, providing a base for studying the County's history. The website provides a starting point for understanding the development of communities in Northumberland. It also seeks to illustrate the range of sources for family and local history research that are available via Northumberland Archives Service."
- The section of The National Gazetteer (1868) relating to this parish - transcribed by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Whittingham to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Whittingham has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
- The history of Whittingham Parish is included in:- Northumberland County History Committee, History of Northumberland, Volume 14. Newcastle, A. Reid, 1935. (Available on fiche from Ancestral Indexes).
- Whittingham - Maps - links and information.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NT999124 (Lat/Lon: 55.405883, -2.002838), Whittingham which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- Whittingham Parish was part of Rothbury Poor Law Union. The Union Workhouse was located in the town of Rothbury. Some records are held at Northumberland Record Office but these are of limited genealogical value.
- Peter Higginbotham has provided details and maps of Rothbury Workhouse.